Tuesday, January 5, 2016

The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 Since  I live in New York City, I go to the met a few times a year. 
I should go more often, but my daughter is into animals so I spent more time at the Zoo or the Museum of Natural history.
Which was also lots of fun since as we all know, they move at night...

After the Christmas week, I had some time off, so we decided to go to the Met.
Which was a crazy time to go since all the tourists were there as well.
so we quickly passed the Egyptians, special Costume exhibit, and went into the Medieval arts.

By this time my daughter is in tears.

Why???

She says looking at all these master piece is making her upset.
Because she thinks there's no way for her to do what she sees.

she's only 9!!

So we sat down on a bench, faced back to the arts and drew the circles from the wall impressions, and triangles from the columns.
We looked at the light and shadows and shaded the sphere to make it look round.
and then we went to see the Japanese prints to observe that those were drawn with lines and not so much shadows....
these people spent a lifetime mastering the technique.  a 9 year old girl has a long way to get there...

She crumbled up the piece of her art and trashed it at the end, but was not crying anymore.

I do hope she's not discouraged.


No comments:

Post a Comment