Sunday, November 13, 2016

Birthday Wish Please Vote

Today is my birthday.

I woke and as I lay on my bed thinking how old am I now.... I remember the 18th birthday.
It was also the year for presidential election.  
My English teacher engaged us students into the politics by having mock elections and debates in class, discussing how wonderful it is that we get to choose our own leader with our own free will!
I was very excited.  I wanted to vote!

so I eagerly went to register, but I was told I was born 5 days too late.
What??  but I am turning 18 this year!  isn't that close enough??
Come on!  just 5 days!!! 
Still the very nice lady at the registration desk won't allow me to vote.

I still wanted to try to find a way, so I showed up on election day to my would be pole location and begged to vote.   
I was once again told that I was born 5 days too late.
So, I brought my Caucasian mother along to see if having the white power with me would better my chances, but again, the same answer.
I was born 5 days too late.

I had no choice but to go home reluctantly and waited for the outcome.

Just like this year, my choice of the leader didn't win the election.

I was frustrated!  WHAT IF??  
What if I got to cast my vote?  
What if I was able to at least say what I wanted?  
What if my vote was able to change the result?
But no, I was 5 days too young to participate in the election.

I can never forget the frustration, bitterness and pure disappointment I felt that day. 
And I never dreamed that I would re-live that moment once again!!!!

So for my birthday, I ask that if you or anyone you know stayed home this election, please talk them into voting.  Just one more person you know.  and ask to pay it forward.  
We all now know that our votes actually matters. 
Not only to the presidential election, but go to the mid-term election, primary election, anything you get to have your say in, VOTE!  

thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment